Starting from 2015, our team of meteorologists, data scientists and engineers, led by radiation modelling expert Dr Nick Engerer, built the most sophisticated global live and forecast solar irradiance data delivery system available. With the global success of this API based service, the team’s focus turned to applying this framework to produce highly accurate historical irradiance estimates with the lowest uncertainty available on the market.
As with our live and forecast data, our methodology begins with the high resolution satellite imagery to detect and characterise cloud cover with industry-leading models. Unique tools such as the world best Engerer2 separation model and the inclusion of global aerosol measurements, mean reduced risk for developers and lowers uncertainty in energy simulations. Our historical data are available from 2007 to as little as 7 days prior, and can be downloaded as Time Series, Typical Meteorological Year (TMY), and Monthly averages.
Solcast is trusted by 17,000+ unique users
How Solcast is different
High quality, global data
- Highest resolution, unique satellite cloud detection
- 5/10/15/30/60 minute time steps available
How Solcast works to lower uncertainty
- Smarter cloud detection
- Aerosol tracking
- Clear & cloudy sky calibration
- Our TMY files are built on the lowest uncertainty solar irradiance data on the market, and have been independently validated at surface measurements sites, globally
- Solcasts’ solar irradiance data are used by more than 30 enterprise clients globally, including Meteocontrol, First Solar and RINA
- TMY data is available for one-off purchase with no subscription required, and we offer tiered subscriptions to enable those with large data requirements to save
- Solcast TMY downloads directly integrated with a growing list of PV modelling tools, including PVSyst, SAM, HomerPro and any other software that accepts TMY3 files
- Our TMY files are built on the least biased, least uncertain solar irradiance data available - see how we stack up with SolarGIS, Vaisala, Meteonorm and more on our Competitor Comparisons page
- You can instantly try out our TMY data with our API Toolkit, where we’ll provide you with free historical data requests to get started
- We are continually updating our methodology documentation, including inputs and algorithms, such as how we track the impact of aerosols like dust, smoke and haze
How to download data now
Sign up and instantly claim your free historical data requests
Create your free user account to access the Solcast API Toolkit. You’ll receive free historical data requests to try our Historical and TMY data for yourself.
Select your data
Select the data product you need.
Select your data period and parameters
For Time Series select the period and parameters for the request.
Download your data (1-9 minutes)
Grab a quick coffee as your request is processed and available to download within minutes.